Welcome to the "Original" Dynasty Rankings Fantasy Football Blog

This blog was born out of a Dynasty Rankings thread originally begun in October, 2006 at the Footballguys.com message boards. The rankings in that thread and the ensuing wall-to-wall discussion of player values and dynasty league strategy took on a life of its own at over 275 pages and 700,000 page views. The result is what you see in the sidebar under "Updated Positional Rankings": a comprehensive ranking of dynasty league fantasy football players by position on a tiered, weighted scale. In the tradition of the original footballguys.com Dynasty Rankings thread, intelligent debate is welcome and encouraged.

Thursday, December 20, 2007

Raiders Coach Lane Kiffin Wants Justin Fargas Back in '08

Per Rotoworld:

Raiders coach Lane Kiffin says he'd like the team to re-sign impending free agent Justin Fargas this offseason. "Justin is going to have a decision to make," Kiffin said. "He’s put himself in a situation where he is probably going to demand some good money on the market, so we’ll push to get him back, and hopefully he’ll be back." Fargas, who isn't expected to play again this season due to an MCL sprain, set career highs for rushing yards (1,009) and touchdowns (4) in 2007.

After years of disappointment, Fargas finally showcased his talent this season reaching the 1,000 yard mark last week. As an unrestricted free agent, Fargas' role for next season is up in the air. Though he's never been a bastion of good health nor reliability, his best bet for sustained value is to re-sign with Oakland where LaMont Jordan is likely to be cut and Dominic Rhodes may be on Jordan's heels out of town. Rookie Michael Bush, currently on IR after last year's major leg surgery, could compete for the starting running back job in the future, but Fargas would almost certainly head into the 2008 season as the starter if he re-signs with the Raiders. How long he would keep the job is very much open to doubt.

4 comments:

EdMcGon said...

I got lucky with Fargas this year, so I want him back too.

I traded for Lamont Jordan and Dominic Rhodes in the offseason. I got a few good games out of Jordan to start the season, but then he tailed off. When the Raiders benched him, I got lucky and picked up Fargas on waivers, and rode him to the championship game.

Watching Fargas against the Colts last week was a thing of beauty. :)

Sadly, I'm looking at starting Rhodes this week against the Jags in the championship. Although I'm tempted to start an extra tight end (I have both Antonio Gates and Tony Scheffler) or an extra wideout (Derrick Mason). Any thoughts?

BTW, love your blog!

Chris Wesseling said...

Hi Ed,

Thanks for the feedback. I appreciate it.

Without knowing your exact league set-up and scoring system, I would say start both Gates and Scheffler. That's what I would do if I was faced with the same scenario.

I don't trust Rhodes to play more than Jordan as the Raiders may just go with the hot hand in that game. Throw in a Jags defense that is nasty more often than not, and it's a situation I want no part of...especially in a championship game.

I know that Troy Smith locked onto Mark Clayton when he came into the game last week, so Derrick Mason could see his production affected. Scheffler, on the other hand, is coming off his best game of the season and looks like a prime Cutler target with Stokley injured and Javon Walker looking gimpy. He's easily the best bet to find the endzone out of your options.

EdMcGon said...

The league I'm in is a PPR/IDP league. Most of the offensive scoring is pretty standard for offensive position players, but does include 1 point for every 5 rush attempts, as well as -2 points each for lost fumbles. We also get 0.1 points for every rushing/receiving yard (you haven't lived until you've lost a game by 0.6 points), plus there is a 2 points/100 rushing yards bonus. And of course 6 points/touchdown.

Running backs generally outscore receivers. However, I expect the Raiders will want to give Rhodes a majority of the carries, since I don't expect Jordan to be back next year. But as you pointed out, it is against the Jags.

I'm not even sure if Gates will be a safe play with his back, plus the Chargers don't have to play him at all since they already have their division clinched.

I don't know. Starting two tight ends in the championship game? That's either brilliant, or incredibly stupid.

Chris Wesseling said...

You have to play Gates as the back injury doesn't look like it's going to keep him out of the lineup, and your other options are anything but appetizing.

You have more faith in the Raiders going heavy with Rhodes than I do. That one just seems like complete guesswork to me, and I would never play someone if I have no feel for how the team is going to use him that week.

I wouldn't get caught up in whether it's two tight ends, or a RB & a TE, or a WR & a TE. I think you just have to choose the best two options regardless of position. For me, that's Scheffler & Gates, but I could see going with Mason if you believe in him.