1. Jason Witten, DAL | Age: 26.4 | Value Score: 99
Maybe the most consistently productive fantasy player of the 2008 season, Witten has officially overtaken Gates as the most valuable Dynasty tight end.
2. Antonio Gates, SD | Age: 28.3 | Value Score: 98
When healthy, he's been a tier unto himself among tight ends. Chargers offense could have a tough time working out the cobwebs early with so many key components returning from injury.
3. #Kellen Winslow II, CLE | Age: 25.1 | Value Score: 95
Similar to Frank Gore in that many believe he will age quickly due to the seriousness of past leg injuries, but that's mere speculation for now and he's producing like a stud.
4. Chris Cooley, WAS | Age: 26.2 | Value Score: 85
How will he produce in the West Coast offense with a new head coach? He's a terrific red zone weapon, and a consistent bet for 65-70 receptions and 750 yards.
5. #Tony Scheffler, DEN | Age: 25.5 | Value Score: 82
Young, athletic Heap clone as a receiver benefits from an obvious rapport with Cutler and stands to build on outstanding second half numbers.
6. #Jeremy Shockey, NO | Age: 28.1 | Value Score: 78
There's a definite injury factor here, but it's going to be interesting to see him in a high-powered Saints offense.
7. Owen Daniels, HOU | Age: 25.8 | Value Score: 71
Averaging five catches per game while other TE1s are lacking consistency. Still having trouble finding the end zone.
8. Tony Gonzalez, KC | Age: 32.5 | Value Score: 70
His god-awful quarterbacks are killing his present value, and you already knew his future value was problematic.
9. Greg Olsen, CHI | Age: 23.5 | Value Score: 68
Coming on. . .
10. Dallas Clark, IND | Age: 29.2 | Value Score: 67
Long-term contract offers very good dynasty value in Colts offense; will he be used as heavily as he was last season, or was that a one-year aberration?
11. Zach Miller, OAK | Age: 22.7 | Value Score: 66
JaMarcus Russell's only reliable target.
12. Todd Heap, BAL | Age: 28.5 | Value Score: 66
I'm calling for a second half bounce-back, but the confidence has to be waning.
13. Heath Miller, PIT | Age: 25.9 | Value Score: 65
Great red zone option and very good in the open field, but he just doesn't see consistent enough targets to move to the next level.
14. Vernon Davis, SF | Age: 24.5 | Value Score: 64
He's like an abusive boyfriend. You want to let him back into your life, but you're better off with a salt-of-the-earth kind of tight end. Sell high.
15. Dustin Keller, NYJ | Age: 23.9 | Value Score: 55
When the local writers are already calling a player "generally unstoppable" early in his first training camp, then it's time to target that player.
16. Ben Watson, NE | Age: 27.7 | Value Score: 50
Running out of time to make good on that tremendous promise. Very good big-play ability, and a nice red zone target, but his poor hands often leave him without the trust of his QB.
17. John Carlson, SEA | Age: 24.3 | Value Score: 42
18. Marcedes Lewis, JAX | Age: 24.3 | Value Score: 40
Sell high. Lewis has intriguing talent, but he's just not involved consistently enough in the Jags offense.
19. Anthony Fasano, MIA | Age: 24.5 | Value Score: 37
Finally a shot to start in Miami, but how good is he really? And will the Dolphins offense put up any points this season?
20. L.J. Smith, PHI | Age: 28.4 | Value Score: 33
Could bounce back in '08, but not much security here if he doesn't sign a long-term deal with the Eagles.
21. Donald Lee, GB | Age: 28.0 | Value Score: 25
2007 is flashing "career year" in bright neon lights, especially with Rodgers taking over for Favre.
22. Dante Rosario, CAR | Age: 23.8 | Value Score: 24
23. Alge Crumpler, ATL | Age: 30.7 | Value Score: 22
Becomes the safety valve for another subpar passer, but he was always able to take that and make it valuable with Vick.
24. Ben Utecht, CIN | Age: 27.2 | Value Score: 20
TE2 possibility as easily the best receiving tight end of the Carson Palmer/Marvin Lewis era Bengals. Some are expecting him to be used as Palmer's version of Dallas Clark, but he's not that talented and the Bengals don't use their tight ends as much as the Colts do.
25. [#]Randy McMichael, STL | Age: 29.2 | Value Score: 20
Out for the season with a broken tibia. McMichael hasn't been productive enough to have owners salivating over his future value.
26. Kevin Boss, NYG | Age: 24.7 | Value Score: 18
Impressed as a receiver in the Giants' playoff run, and now he should have the starting gig to himself with Shockey finally dealt.
27. Martellus Bennett, DAL | Age: 21.5 | Value Score: 15
28. Fred Davis, WAS | Age: 22.7 | Value Score: 15
29. Joe Klopfenstein, STL | Age: 24.8 | Value Score: 10
It's now or never for the former second-rounder. If he produces, Randy McMichael nd his $3.5 million salary will be gone. If he fails, he will never get a starting job in the NFL.
30. Bo Scaife, TEN | Age: 27.7 | Value Score: 10
31. Dave Thomas, NE | Age: 25.2 | Value Score: 9
Nice sleeper stash if Watson's hands continue to leave doubts about hs game.
32. #Jacob Tamme, IND | Age: 23.5 | Value Score: 9
33. Ben Patrick, ARI | Age: 24.1 | Value Score: 8
34. Alex Smith, TB | Age: 26.3 | Value Score: 8
Talented but always left his NFL team and his fantasy owners wanting more; now in a dogfight with Troupe for his job.
35. Delanie Walker, SF | Age: 24.1 | Value Score: 8
36. Desmond Clark, CHI | Age: 31.4 | Value Score: 7
Still putting up interesting numbers, but he's already 31-years-old with Olsen hot on his heels for the starting job while siphoning production in the meantime.
37. Leonard Pope, ARI | Age: 25.0 | Value Score: 7
38. Jerramy Stevens, TB | Age: 24.8 | Value Score: 6
39. Chris Baker, NYJ | Age: 28.8 | Value Score: 6
40. Jeff King, CAR | Age: 24.5 | Value Score: 6
You just saw his career year as the Panthers move to an offense requiring a more physical tight end.
41. #Martin Rucker, CLE | Age: 23.3 | Value Score: 6
42. Brad Cottam, KC | Age: 23.8 | Value Score: 4
43. Brent Celek, PHI | Age: 23.7 | Value Score: 4
44. Jermichael Finley, GB | Age: 21.5 | Value Score: 3
45. Gary Barnidge, CAR | Age: 22.9 | Value Score: 3
46. Visanthe Shiancoe, MIN | Age: 28.3 | Value Score: 2
47. #Derek Schouman, BUF | Age: 23.5 | Value Score: 2
48. #Derek Fine, BUF | Age: 25.0 | Value Score: 2
49. #Ben Troupe, OAK | Age: 26.0 | Value Score: 2
Wednesday, October 15, 2008