Welcome to the "Original" Dynasty Rankings Fantasy Football Blog

This blog was born out of a Dynasty Rankings thread originally begun in October, 2006 at the Footballguys.com message boards. The rankings in that thread and the ensuing wall-to-wall discussion of player values and dynasty league strategy took on a life of its own at over 275 pages and 700,000 page views. The result is what you see in the sidebar under "Updated Positional Rankings": a comprehensive ranking of dynasty league fantasy football players by position on a tiered, weighted scale. In the tradition of the original footballguys.com Dynasty Rankings thread, intelligent debate is welcome and encouraged.

Friday, February 1, 2008

Moss, Santana: Value Notes

cscmtp 4/19/07: great job! My only suggestion is to move Santana Moss up. The QB position is the ONLY thing that can hold this guy back. I still think he's Steve Smith part deux. When Brunell had that magical last run in 2005, Moss exploded. Then it was clear Brunell had nothing left in the tank in 2006, and Moss' numbers struggled. Then they put in an extremely green Campbell who in reality was a rookie. But I am hopeful that Campbell will make big strides this year. He has the arm and mobility to actually get the ball down field (something Brunell could no longer do). Just like Smith stunk last year when Delhomme whent down (no fault of his own) I feel that same way about Santana's numbers last year. I expect he'll finish the year in the top 10 IF Campbell is as solid as I think he'll be.

Sons of the Tundra 4/19/07: cscmtp - Remember the Seinfeld episode where Frank Costanza interprets a line from the father of his old Korean girlfriend? "This guy......this is not my kind of guy." Well, that's how I feel about Santana Moss.

I can see the temptation to compare him to Steve Smith; however, I see three major differences between the diminutive game breakers. Smith is much better at going up in traffic and coming down with the ball. Much better. Despite his size, Smith catches in traffic as well as any WR in the league. Secondly, Smith is superior inside the red zone. Partially due to the point above, he is looked to more heavily in the end zone than Moss is. Finally, Delhomme locks onto Steve Smith. This could be a problem if Carr takes over, but I don't think Campbell will try to get the ball to Moss as much as Delhomme does with Smith. And you appear to have much more faith in Jason Campbell overall as a QB than I do.

One last point to consider is the "consistency" debate. I know there are some smart people on these boards who consider the WR inconsistency label a myth. I, however, disagree. I do think Santana Moss has been a very unreliable fantasy contributor, and that's a problem in dynasty leagues moreso than redraft. He has been unreliable not only from game to game but also from season to season. I could change my mind on this one in the future, but he's going to have to show me before I do. He could clearly finish top 10 this year and in the process make me look foolish for awhile...until he finishes 30th again in '08.

Who would you move him ahead of? I think in any given year he could be a better choice than Plax, Housh and others ahead. I just worry about him more in dynasty leagues. I don't know how lucky I feel about Santana this year...and that's really the bottom line: Do I want a roll of the dice every year as my #1 or #2 WR?

No comments: