Welcome to the "Original" Dynasty Rankings Fantasy Football Blog

This blog was born out of a Dynasty Rankings thread originally begun in October, 2006 at the Footballguys.com message boards. The rankings in that thread and the ensuing wall-to-wall discussion of player values and dynasty league strategy took on a life of its own at over 275 pages and 700,000 page views. The result is what you see in the sidebar under "Updated Positional Rankings": a comprehensive ranking of dynasty league fantasy football players by position on a tiered, weighted scale. In the tradition of the original footballguys.com Dynasty Rankings thread, intelligent debate is welcome and encouraged.

Friday, February 1, 2008

Evans, Lee: Value Notes

Sons of the Tundra 3/15/07: But I would add that I'm with you on Losman. I'm not a believer. I think he played as well in the 2nd half of last season as he will from here on out. I think he's as good now as he's going to get, and I'm not overly impressed with where he's at now. But my point on Evans is this: remember those old arguments in the '80s & '90s? Does Rice make Montana a better QB than he really is? Does Montana make Rice a better WR than he really is? Ditto Young & Rice. Well, it's my belief that Lee Evans, more than any WR in the league, makes his QB look like a better QB than he actually is. Lee Evans is a very good WR.

DocT 5/4/07: Looking at the stats, Lee Evans does look very inconsistent, especially with the 200+ yard game. Do you think he will be able to hold around the same stats this year? Looking at your rankings it seems so, but I guess I'm looking for more insight into why you view him so highly. Especially considering his situation/QB.

Sons of the Tundra 5/4/07: Yes, I believe Lee Evans will hold around the same stats this year, if not better. I rank him so highly because he's friggin' good. He has a reputation of being inconsistent which in large part was due to his QB situation before last season...alternating between shoddy QBs Holcomb & Losman, one of which preferred Moulds and the other preferring Evans.

Last year it took a couple weeks for Evans and the BUF passing offense to get their heads out of their arses. But check out Evans' weekly numbers from weeks 3-17. They stack up against any receiver out there.

I wub.gif me some Lee Evans.

Oz 5/4/07: I'd take Evans in tier one, might even swap him with Calvin (ahead of Holt, etc.) Yeah, I'm drinking the kool-aid with him, he's Steve Smith Jr. (ok, not quite as tough, but close)

Sons of the Tundra 5/4/07: Wow! And I thought I wub.gif Lee Evans. I had him in the first tier and then took him out partially because he might be the one player I've been questioned most about ranking too highly in the past.

Oz, I'll be happy to move him into tier one for you.

The difference between CJ and Lee Evans or basically any other WR in football right now is that I see CJ as a guy who has the ability to rack up TDs to the tune of around 15/season like a young Randy Moss. There are no other WRs in football right now that I could say the same thing about. I want true difference makers on my team, and I'm willing stick my neck out to get them. I want a guy who has the possibility of giving me an advantage over every other team in the league. I want to put the fear of god into every other owner in my league:

"Like Genghis Kahn on an iron horse, a monster steed with a fiery anus, flat out through the eye of a beer can and up your daughter's leg with no quarter asked and none given; show the squares some class, give em a whiff of those kicks they'll never know." I want to ride to victory on a trail of bones. The innocent will suffer along with the guilty. pirate.gif

When I evaluate WRs, I'm a sucker for WRs with high TD totals as long as they're also heavily involved in the offense (no James Jett's with 12 TDs for me). Get the ball in the endzone and win me that week's match-up.

EBF 5/4/07: Lee Evans is a beast. Good ranking.

No comments: