Welcome to the "Original" Dynasty Rankings Fantasy Football Blog

This blog was born out of a Dynasty Rankings thread originally begun in October, 2006 at the Footballguys.com message boards. The rankings in that thread and the ensuing wall-to-wall discussion of player values and dynasty league strategy took on a life of its own at over 275 pages and 700,000 page views. The result is what you see in the sidebar under "Updated Positional Rankings": a comprehensive ranking of dynasty league fantasy football players by position on a tiered, weighted scale. In the tradition of the original footballguys.com Dynasty Rankings thread, intelligent debate is welcome and encouraged.

Sunday, August 10, 2008

Giving Him the Business!

A couple of months ago, I took our dog, Shortstop, to get her hair cut at PetSmart. As dogs are wont to do, Shortstop was slightly traumatized by the event . . . so I told Rosie that I thought the old ladies were probably "giving her the business" in the back room after I left. An argument there ensued about whether "giving someone the business" is a common figure of speech or whether I made it up. This went on for several days with no give or take on any side. And just now, as she was gossiping on the phone with her friend Amy, Rosie whipped out the "giving him the business" line, so I called her on it. She claimed that it must have slipped in subconsciously, and she maintained her stance that it's a completely fabricated term.

All of which gave me the occasion to search for one of my all-time favorite football clips:



I love the repeated "low-punch" motion the ref gives -- because everybody knows that's the international sign for "giving 'em the business." Well, at least it is now. . . .

No comments: