A followup to a question on the FBG message boards:
Q: Where do you see Ahmad Bradshaw this year? A decent flex option or a guy you hold in case Jacobs gets hurt?
A: He could be both this season a la Derrick Ward last season. My thoughts on Bradshaw:
- I was very impressed with his play down the stretch in the 2007-08 playoff run. He ran bigger and tougher than you would expect for a back of his size (5'10/198).
- I've been disappointed that he's not as much of a receiving threat as he profiled coming out of Marshall, and he doesn't hold a candle to Ward on blocking ability. Bradshaw caught 56 passes at Marshall in 2005, so it appears to be more of a blocking issue than a hands issue.
- I've had Danny Ware on a deep sleeper watch list for a couple of years. Football Outsiders, surprisingly, expects Ware to beat out Bradshaw for 1B duties to Jacobs' 1A, but I side with Newsday's Bob Glauber who predicts a breakout season for Bradshaw.
- GM Jerry Reese confirmed that Bradshaw is ahead of Ware and will step in when Jacobs goes down with one of his injuries.
- Andre Brown, one of my favorite mid-round rookies, limits Bradshaw's long-term upside. Bradshaw's contract is up after the 2010 season, so it's conceivable that he would land a more significant timeshare role in two years.